Monday, March 9, 2009

Doughnuts on a Sunday Morning


















For a while now, I've been wanting to make some homemade doughnuts. These are another thing I remember making with my mom when I was little; I preferred the yeast kind, but hated having to wait for the dough to rise twice before they could be fried and be glazed. I'm really not much of a doughnut person; I think it's just the memories of making them with my mom that I like so much. So yesterday I finally got up enough ambition to whip these up; and I think I got doughnut making out of my system for awhile. These tasted pretty good but they weren't as airy as I would of liked. I guess I probably could of let them rise a little longer. In the end, I had big tray of various doughnuts, and the usual "Uh oh....now what do I do with them?" So I plated them up and sent them into work with Ad. I found the recipe for these doughnuts on Allrecipes; I actually followed it pretty closely, only substituting butter for the shortening. You can find the recipe here. I think if I do make doughnuts again, I will call my mom and try out her recipe. Ad likes the doughnuts from Dunkin that have the chocolate frosting-like-creme in them, so I made a thin, whipped buttercream and used a bismark tip to fill them (this filling is in the heart shaped ones that are covered with confectioners sugar, and the stick ones with the sprinkles.) They were good, but silly me...filled them before they were cooled all the way, so the buttercream melted some. Oh well. Surprisingly, Emily actually really liked these doughnuts (she is not a big sweets eater) so I have a feeling she might be requesting me to make them again soon.

3 comments:

Mom on the Run said...

I have never attempted donuts. Yum!

Fahrenheit 350° said...

More pictures! They sound fabulous!

Mo Diva said...

what a talented lady!
And a what a coincidence- Im having a donut giveaway this week!
But theres nothing like homemade donuts!