Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Coconut Cream Pie...who knew?

Waking up this morning, I never would of thought I'd be ending the day by whipping up a coconut cream pie. While I was cooking dinner, my neighbor stopped by to ask if I would make the pie for her...sure, no problem! Hey, it gives me a reason to bake and blog! I actually had all of the ingredients (well, only because I chose to change the recipe) except for a couple, which I borrowed from different neighbor. I've never actually eaten a coconut cream pie, and I only tasted the filling of this one; I thought it tasted pretty yummy, so hopefully my neighbor does too.
Coconut Cream Pie
1 13.5 oz. can coconut milk
1 1/4 c. heavy cream, divided
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1 c. sugar, divided
1/2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. coconut, plus additional for the top
1 graham cracker crust or graham crackers and butter to make a crust

In a saucepan, whisk together coconut milk, 1/2 c. heavy cream, milk, eggs, 3/4 c. sugar, flour, and salt. Continue whisking and bring to a boil on medium-low heat. Mixture will get nice and custardy-thick (think pastry cream.) Add vanilla and 3/4 c. coconut. Spread evenly into your crust. Place in the refrigerator and let set up for at least 2 hours.

Spread additional coconut (I used about 1/3 c.) onto a cookie sheet. Place in a preheated 400 degree oven, checking and "stirring" it often so the coconut toasts evenly and does not burn. Let cool.

Place remaining heavy cream in a mixing bowl and start whipping. Add remaining 1/4 c. sugar and continue whipping until the cream is stiff. Spread onto the top of the pie. Add toasted coconut.



No comments: